20 July 2009

Book Review: The Namesake

I followed one good, easy read with another. The Namesake, by Pulitzer Prize winning author Jhumpa Lahiri, is a fantastic story about a kid who struggles with the name his Indian parents have given him. He is named after a Russian writer and doesn't understand the meaning behind his name. The story mostly follows his life, but also gives us a glimpse of how an immigrant Indian family makes its way in America and how the first generation its children largely shun the traditions their parents try to instill in their lives.

If I had more time to analyze the book, I may have some insightful comments. The best I can do after a 10-hour day, run, and 45 minutes at the park is to say that I liked the book. It was well written with a nice story. Lahiri's collection of short stories, The Interpreter of Maladies, is now on my list to read. It's the book for which she won the Pulitzer. My brother's girlfriend, whose parents immigrated to Canada from India, told me that many south Asians love her stuff. That amounts to a good recommendation.

1 comment:

Jolly Green Mama said...

i like this book too. the movie was dissapointing. have you read any haruki murakami? i loved kafka on the shore and south of the border, west of the sun. he also has a short memoir on running you might enjoy!