13 May 2010

Book Review: The Girls From Ames

After slogging through Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I was ready to read something a little lighter. During my recent trip to Minneapolis to visit my Ames girls, my PG friend gave me The Girls from Ames, a book about a group of 11 friends whose friendship has lasted 40 years - from their girlhood in Ames, to their adult lives all over the country.

I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the writing. The whole book was rather repetitive. However, the book was interesting and heartwarming. And it reminded me about how lucky I am to have some amazing women in my life. Old friends who have experienced the ups and downs of early adulthood with me and matured with me into middle-age.

It was the perfect read for this moment. And I read it in less than two weeks! Up next: Reading Lolita in Tehran.

No comments: