24 September 2011

Book Review: The Lonely Polygamist

In preparation for the inaugural book club, I'll post my book review of The Lonely Polygamist our first choice to discuss this Thursday.

I had never heard of Brady Udall (despite the fact that he's written two popular and well-received novels). I thought the concept was an interesting one, so I was excited to start the book. Overall, I thought it was fabulous. Great story, compelling, sad, funny, and interesting.

The only problem with the book was that it was set in the 1970s, but I had a hard time picturing it then. I couldn't quite stop thinking of the family as similar to Big Love, even though there were major socioeconomic differences between the two polygamist families.

I'll save more description for after Thursday's book club!

No comments: