27 August 2010

Out of Touch. But STILL Rocking Out!

The other day my friend, Tony, posted this link to his GChat status. Tony generally posts interesting news articles to his status, so I checked it out. It's a fairly comical mash up of three different movies to a song by Cee Lo. I have never heard of Cee Lo and I have never heard this song: Fuck You and Fuck Her Too. Based on the title, though, I was intriguied. What is it about expletives that make things infinitely more cool?

I couldn't get the song out of my head. Don't let the title disuade you. Check the song out. It's so good and not at all what you would expect.

Thinking about the song, I wondered why it was so great. It's sort of a contradiction: Upbeat music, not-so-upbeat lyrics. It's completely unexpected. On my way home last night, NPR's All Things Considered, ran a piece on the song. It hasn't been released yet, but Cee Lo put it on YouTube to get more publicity. The reporter mentioned that Cee Lo will also be releasing a radio-friendly verson of the song called "Forget You and Forget Her Too." It doesn't have the same pizazz or punch. When you hear the song, you'll understand.

Here's the NPR piece, in case you'd like to hear the commentary.

I guess the point is: I am woefully out of touch with pop culture. I get most of my news from my friend Tony's postings and NPR. I wonder how long this song has been viral. It may be completely old news to all of you. But I will rock. I will most certainly ROCK OUT to this song - pregnant belly and all.

2 comments:

Katy said...

That is the best song i've heard in a LONG TIME. I love it. I've got to share this now! You've still got your cool sara.

life's a bear said...

:). Thanks Katy!