27 February 2012

Preservative-Free Pancakes

I know, I know, I haven't posted to Green Means Go(od) with the most regularity lately. Life: sometimes it gets in the way of blogging. But, I'm back today with a great preservative-free recipe. I'm going to continue the No Preservative theme into March since I'm planning on making my own bread starting very soon. Watch for reports on the successes and setbacks of that adventure! Today, however, I'm providing another great, easy way to cut a few preservatives from your diet: Homemade pancakes!

Raise your hand if you make pancakes from a box. Go ahead, don't be bashful. I was raised on Bisquick pancakes (and waffles and biscuits). And, I have to admit, they were delicious. My mom was a big proponent of breakfast and woke up nearly morning to cook all five of us breakfast. It never really occurred to me to make my own batter as a result. That is until we had Benny and decided that once a week we'd make a nice, big family breakfast (since we don't go to church and all).

It took a few tries to find the right recipe, but we did. This is, hands down, the best pancake recipe you'll find anywhere. And the best thing about it? It's low on sugar and full of whole grains. Delicious and nutritious.

Preservative-Free Pancakes

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour (or any flour will work)
1 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 tbsp. olive oil

Method
Mix solids. Mix liquids. Mix together and cook on a skillet. Add things like blueberries, walnuts, bananas, etc. for an extra special treat!

No comments: