27 May 2009

Making Progress on the List

Now that I am done, really done, with my dissertation, I feel like I can focus more on accomplishing items on my list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. I've even crossed a few items off the list. It has been rather difficult to do much of anything in the past two weeks with Benny's whacked out sleeping. The kid has reverted back to that period when he was about 18 months old when he wailed whenever we put him to bed. He's doing it again and putting up an even stronger fight. Often he has been crying for 1-2 hours (with a couple of interventions by me or Nate) before he finally lets in and goes to sleep. Then, on top of all of that, he has been taking sub one hour naps. But, I digress.

The list. Yes. So, I've successfully defended my dissertation AND graduated (#30 and #31). I've started growing an herb garden (#15). Today I added two items to the list that I had already completed, but that should have been on my list when I first wrote it (I think that's OK): Join a networking group (#72) and buy Benny a used bike trailer (#74). I joined a young nonprofit professionals group today, which should help me accomplish #11, getting a job. I found Benny a fantastic bike trailer on craiglist today for a fraction of what it would cost new.

I've even made lots of progress on other items that may take more effort and perseverance. I'll be running a half-marathon with a friend on June 14 (#5). I've been introducing new books into Benny's rotation (Once Upon a Potty, Elmo's Easter Hat, and Where the Wild Things Are). As expected, Where the Wild Things Are has been a big hit. Benny likes Max and his wild rumpuses. However, Benny is more apt to ask for Josh in Once Upon a Potty. He learned how to say wee wee (for pee) and pee pee (for penis) from that book. Sadly, it hasn't helped much with potty training.

Thanks to the list, I've also started to make my bed (nearly) every morning. Strangely, it has been a real treat to get into a made bed at night. I have to think of 26 more items for the list. And I will. But it may take me awhile. Especially if Benny doesn't get to sleep! (It's 9:22 p.m. and he's still awake. I put him to bed at 8:15 p.m. At least he isn't crying - right now.)

No comments: