03 April 2013

Book Review: The Round House

Finally! I finally have time to read again! As soon as the quarter ended at DU, I picked up The Round House by Louise Erdrich. It's the next book club selection and I finished it just in time.

The book is good. Very good. However, I wish I had read the Afterword before I started the book. It would have created a good framework to better understand the story line.

Erdrich writes about Joe, a teenage Native American whose mother is raped in the first chapter. Essentially, the book is about justice, which is a challenge on reservations - particularly in the case of rape.

The build-up to the final chapters was superb and Erdrich created a realistic description of how a family deals with a scary and violent situation - from the mother's depression to the son's and father's helplessness. The final chapters could have been longer and included more description like the earlier chapters.

Overall, I'm just glad that I have the time to read again. I have visions of sitting with a cup of coffee on the porch and reading through summer. It's a happy thought. I've moved on to Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I took a longggg break and I'm happy to read more about Katniss et al.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

this is on my list right now, glad to hear you liked it!

life's a bear said...

We had a record-long discussion about this book last night at book club. Everyone really liked it. So many things to think about. Hope you enjoy it!

P.S. I miss having you around to talk books, gardens/farms, babes.