14 April 2013

Spring Cleaning/Purging/Cleansing

Spring cleaning hasn't always been a top priority for me. I have a hard enough time keeping up with regular old house cleaning, so the dust behind the couch, refrigerator, under the beds and everywhere else doesn't bother me a whole lot. I'll get to it some day.

However, this year, I've decided to actually clean out some of my cupboards. For the first time in two years. Maybe I'll actually clean under the beds and wash my windows. Between those tasks and the spring cleaning in the yard, I'll be cleaning right up until summer.

Although I'm not a big fan of the deep clean, I am a big fan of the deep purge. I've already been through the kids' toys and have a pile for Goodwill. Tomorrow, I will clean out my closet and the kids' clothes to make room for new (used) spring attire.

Finally, I'm going to try something new this spring. Cleanses seem to be all the rage. I've never really felt it necessary to take part, but this year I'm looking for something to kick my butt into gear. I'm usually pretty tired throughout the day, only be up for a couple of hours at night. So, to combat this insomnia/fatigue and also to get my body back into shape, I'm instituting a purge today. It's not so much a purge, but more of a moderation of things. Here's what I'm planning for the next two weeks:

1. Cut back on beer and wine throughout the week. (We've been involved in a lot of social stuff this winter and it always seems to involve alcoholic beverages. Although I'm all for libations, I think I could cut back.) So, no drinks at home and one drink per evening at a social event.

2. Cut back on coffee. I'm generally a two (very large) cup per day kind of gal. But, I think I can cut back to one cup in the morning and tea in the afternoon.

3. Cut back on sugars. I'd love to say I'm going to cut processed sugars out completely, but I'm not ready to make that sacrifice. I already failed at this today with a small cup of gelato (it was our first gelato of the season - I couldn't say no!).

4. Cut back on carbs. Although the previous three items will be hard enough, the carbs portion of this "cleanse" will be the most challenging. I love bread. And we make a lot of stuff around here involving some kind of grain - spaghetti, burritos. sandwiches. I do refuse to give up my morning toast with peanut butter and honey. It's the reason I get up in the morning.

So, there you have it. Hopefully by summer I'll be bounding with energy. And maybe I'll drop a few pounds in the process. Oh, and maybe I'll have a clean(ish) house by then too.

Do you cleanse? Do you purge? Do you spring clean? Do you feel an odd pressure to get "ready" for spring?

No comments: