18 April 2013

Cheers to the Sun!


This week has been one big busy doozy of a week. And it's only Thursday. But, know what? The sun came out today! No snow! Granted, the highs will only be in the 30s, but the sun is out and the snow is melting.

The week started with the attack on the Boston Marathon, which is beyond comprehension. I mean, really, beyond. I cannot wrap my head around it. I've been thinking about my own experience running the Chicago Marathon in 2006. It seems like such a long time ago, but I can remember so many little details about it. One of my favorite memories: the fans and specifically my fans: Nate's mom was there cheering me on. Nate and his parents ran all over Chicago to watch me. After the marathon, Nate's mom gave me a big hug and told me how proud she was of me. It meant so much to me. Less than six months later, Barb died of breast cancer. So, not only am I having a hard time with the attack, but the memories are bittersweet.

The weather isn't helping. April started on such a high note - 60s for a few days. Then a big, awful storm last week that ended up stripping our peach tree of its blossoms and ruining a bunch of stuff in our spring garden. I thought the bad weather was over, but then a storm rolled in Monday that brought with it at least 10 inches of SNOW. And then more snow. We'll have some sun and decent temps for three days before another storm is predicted to roll in early next week. While I love the moisture, I wonder why we can't enjoy spring RAIN showers rather than SNOW storms.

I hate to talk about the attacks on Boston and the bad weather in the same post, but they both have left a big dark cloud over the week. Which is why the sunshine is so welcome today. It's amazing what a few rays will do for my mood.

We're ending the week on a high note: A visit from grandparents. Beer tasting on Friday night. Preschool fundraiser on Saturday night. A busy end to a busy week.

2 comments:

Therese said...

Are you one of those folks whose moods are severely influenced by weather? Cruel of nature to tease you with spring and then yank it back.

life's a bear said...

Therese, yes, I do think my mood is influenced by weather. Or perhaps more so by the inability to be outside and being active. Plus, I was so looking forward to a lovely April. Just wait until it gets hot and I start complaining about that!