05 December 2011

Book Review: The White Tiger

The Man Booker Prize. Does anyone know what that is? Anyone from the States? I don't think I'd ever heard of it before hanging out with my Canadian sister-in-law. To be honest, the only Canadian author I've read is Margaret Atwood (and I love her). However, after reading The White Tiger, winner of the 2008 Man Booker Prize, I'm tempted to read many more winners.

My brother left a copy of The White Tiger at my house after visiting this summer. It took me awhile to pick it up. Knowing that I had an upcoming plane trip without anything to read, I decided it was time.

This is a great book about two Indias: The Rich and The Poor. However, I do think the message is applicable to any society where there is a severe line between the haves and the have nots. It's also a great portrait of someone who goes through a process of discovery about his life. The narrator is a son of a rickshaw driver from rural India who rises to the position of a driver in Mumbai. He eventually owns his own business, but it doesn't come easy (murder of his boss).

I wish I could offer more insight. You'll have to read it for yourself...

No comments: