20 February 2013

New Goals, New Bike?

Let me start with a caveat: I like my bike. It's a good bike and perfect for my biking habits. I ride anywhere from 2-10 miles daily - often pulling a trailer. My Cannondale road hybrid is comfortable and fast. Nate gave me that bike for my birthday nearly five years ago and couldn't have picked out a better fit.


However, as I'm biking more and farther (specifically farther), I'm starting to wonder if a new/used, faster bike would be more suitable to my needs. I'm clueless when it comes to bikes and their strengths/weaknesses. Obviously I know that I don't want a mountain bike, but I don't necessarily need a super fast road bike either.

I can schedule most of my meetings within a five-mile radius of my house. When that works out, I'm lucky. But, there's the matter of one of my long-term clients having an office about seven (hilly) miles away. Within the next few months, I'd like to incorporate a bike ride to our monthly meetings. Additionally, although this is only relevant for the next three weeks, the University of Denver is eight miles away. I would still like to ride to class at least once, but riding to and from a night class in rush hour in the dark doesn't sound appealing. So, I'm a bit stalled until I'm assigned a new class in the fall (hopefully).

That's where you come in: For those of you who ride, what would you recommend for slightly longer commutes? I'm hoping to find something used - either at our neighborhood bike shop or on Craigslist. But recommendations are certainly welcome!

6 comments:

Laura said...

I'm partial to Surly bikes (http://surlybikes.com/bikes/) because they're safe, durable/easy to maintain and comfortable. You can find some good used ones on Craigslist. I have always been super happy with my Pacer!

Unknown said...

Cyclocross bikes are a good combination of mountain and road bikes. They are fast on city streets, can handle rough(er) terrain and are very maneuverable in tight places.

http://www.masibikes.com/bikes/competition

Seconding Laura's comment, Surly makes some pretty rad commuter-style cyclocross bikes as well.

life's a bear said...

Thanks! Looking for Surlys now!

Anonymous said...

I have a Raleigh Alysa FT2 hybrid and it is the best of both worlds. It's so zippy and fast but still upright. I'm pretty sure you can get a deal on last year's model.

life's a bear said...

Thanks Alex! I'll check that out too! Not sure how much I'd like the lean of a road bike. Do you commute very far on yours?

Melissa @ HerGreenLife said...

I second the cyclocross rec. It's more or less road bike posture, but durable for less than smooth roads. I swapped the stem on mine (a Kona Jake) for one that angles up for a slightly more upright posture.