03 August 2008

Brule Day Report

Since all of you have probably been waiting with bated breath for the report of Brule Day. I must say, it was rather uneventful. However, Benny was the belle (er, beau) of the ball (er, parade) in his little bumble bee costume. He was so freaking cute!!! I fashioned a small bee hive out of big bowls and some paper bags, complete with little bees and flowers. I made a little float out of Benny's new wagon with the hive and a sign that read "'Hive' a Great Brule Day!" Not surprisingly, Benny won first place in his age category. That might sound impressive, but he was the only kiddo IN his age category.

I carried Benny while my sister pulled the wagon and threw out candy. It was actually a pretty fun morning. The poor Bear was hot and tired by the end of the parade. I was sure he would pass out for hours. Nope, no this Bear. As soon as I pulled his bee outfit off in the A/C he threw up his hands and ran around the house naked for about 45 minutes before he passed out.

Benny and I camped out in the comforts of my parents' house for the rest of the day. It was 110 (and that's no Phat Pat quote) yesterday and fairly miserable outside. Benny did take a dip in the pool and passed out for a second nap.

Since it was my 31st birthday yesterday (obviously not a priority - I nearly forgot about it), we headed to the old school, which is closed now and serves as a "community center," for the Brule Day dance and beer garden. When I was in jr. high and high school the event was held at the fire hall, which was the perfect venue. I can remember large crowds with all sorts of Bruletonians mingling and dancing. Perhaps it was my youth, but it was a great time. Last night was a great time, but with a fairly disappointing turnout. I did get to catch up with two dear high school friends. They are as entertaining now as they were in high school. I also got to drink really strong screwdrivers until the firemen (who hosted the party) ran out of vodka. I walked home with my brother and sister and was in bed by 12:30 a.m. All in all, not a bad night, but certainly not as crazy as I expected for my birthday :).

Expect a follow up post about some stories of some classic Bruletonians and their shenanigans in the near future! Not to be missed!

No comments: