18 March 2012

Book Review: Hunger Games

I have resisted reading every young adult series published in the past decade or so ... Harry Potter, Twilight, etc. I was intrigued by The Hunger Games when I first heard about the books last year (so out of pop culture). I do love myself some dystopian fiction (hello, Margaret Atwood). The books we've been picking for book club have been a bit difficult to finish reading in a month, so someone suggested The Hunger Games. Since I like participating in the discussions at book club, I figured it was time to give in.

And OMG, I LOVED THE BOOK. As Nate will attest, I had my nose in that book every spare minute this weekend. I finished it last night during a bit of insomnia. I'm ready to start the next book, but I have too much to do to invest my time in it right now. It breaks my heart! I did convince Nate to go see the movie with me. And he agreed!

The writing isn't amazing and the story is weak in places. But overall, Suzanne Collins manages to make the whole disgusting idea believable. And not just believable, but intriguing and fast-paced. The characters are likeable and realistic. I haven't been this excited about a book in years. Now, that doesn't mean that I'm going to go back and read any other 'tween series. At least not until Benny is ready to read them with me :).

No comments: