15 June 2012

Best. Damn. Chicken. Ever.

The crock pot is slowly becoming one of my most used kitchen accessories. Knowing that summer heat is here to stay and the oven is not comfortable to use for the next two months or so (no A/C in this here house), I've been collecting crock pot and other oven-less recipes to get us through the hot months. I've made this chicken recipe several times over the past few months and I'll make it again tonight.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 onion
1 large chicken

Method

Combine the dried spices in a small bowl. Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker. Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid. Cook for 4 – 5 hours (for a 3 or 4 pound chicken) or until the chicken is falling off the bone. Don’t forget to make your homemade chicken stock! I made stock for the first time last time I made this dish. It lasted me several rice and orzo dishes and it freezes fabulously.

No comments: