26 July 2012

Banana Birthday Cake


Last year I brought banana cake with cream cheese frosting to Benny's daycare for his birthday. It's a relatively easy cake to make. Tastes like banana bread with cream cheese frosting. I haven't made the cake since.

When I asked Benny what kind of cake he would like to celebrate, he didn't skip a beat: Banana Cake. That kid has a memory like a steel trap. I ended up following the directions (unlike last year) and the cake was delicious. Even better with fresh berries on top! And all of Benny's school friends loved it - and he loved being the center of attention.

Banana Birthday Cake

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients.

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs (room temperature)

Beat with a mixer on low speed until all ingredients are combined. Add eggs and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Pour batter into a 13x9x2 greased pan. You can also use two round cake pans - I just don't have those. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese and butter with mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup powdered sugar.

And with that, I think Benny's birthday celebrations are finished, along with my summer cold/allergies. It's been an entire week of snot, snot, snot, sore throat, lost voice. I'm finally running again after an entire week.

*Don't have buttermilk on hand? Yeah, I don't either. Make sour milk by combining 1 cup milk and 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar and let sit for 5 minute. Easy as that!

No comments: