04 September 2012

Eight Is Enough

I was all set to run another half marathon on September 22. My legs were feeling pretty good. My motivation was high. Then I ventured online to register for the race. $115!?! (The same thing happened last year, so I'm not sure why I was so surprised.) So, after running a long run of 8.5 miles last week, I'm hanging up my shoes, figuratively, for now. The registration fee coupled with the time to train are major inhibitors to my psyche.

Instead, I'm going to use the registration money to pay for some yoga classes. At this point in my life, running just isn't enough to keep the extra flab and pounds off any more. I need a more varied and aggressive approach! My body seems to be used to running. So while my legs and butt are getting a workout, my upper body is neglected. It's probably about time I give them some love as well.

It's not that I'll stop running. Rather, I'll run shorter distances and focus on my speed. I've been cutting time off each run. And I'll run for fun - not because I HAVE to.

So, I'm wondering, has anyone else bailed on training over halfway through a training plan? I'm sure many have bailed on training due to injuries and whatnot, but what about money? And time?

P.S. I also bought a pair of new boots. I couldn't justify both a registration fee and boots. It was a tough call, obviously.

1 comment:

Simply Bike said...

I hear ya! The cost, time investment, and need to vary it up has made me take a more relaxed approach to running while adding yoga, walking, biking, etc, to my routine. One day, though, I'd love to run another marathon!

Go for the yoga!! And the boots! :)

S.