12 September 2012

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

We grew all of it in the garden this year! I'm particularly fond of the latter three because they are perennials and I don't have to do much to keep them alive. I'm especially fond of sage because it's such a lovely muted color.


I should use it more often now that it's increasing in size. I do throw it in the crock pot with chicken and stock. Tonight's recipe doesn't boast much from the garden, but it's certainly better with fresh sage from out back. I've been making this recipe for several years and I committed it to memory long ago. I'd love to give credit to the original source, but I can't remember that source any more!

Cauliflower, Bacon and Sage Pasta

Ingredients

1 lb. bacon
1 head of cauliflower
handful of fresh sage (or about 1 tbsp. dried sage)
1 cup Parmesan cheese
S&P
1 box of pasta (linguine, spaghetti, etc.)

Method

Fry bacon to a crisp and tear it up into small pieces. Boil the pasta per the package instructions. Pour off most of the bacon grease, leaving about 2 tbsp. in the pan. Sautee the sage in the grease for about three minutes. Add the cauliflower and 1/4 cup of water and cover for 3-5 minutes. Add the bacon.

Throw the pasta and the sauteed items into the bowl. Add the bacon and Parmesan cheese and mix. Enjoy!

Aside from the time it takes to fry up the bacon, this dish takes a total of 10 minutes to make. Sometimes we'll fry up a bunch of bacon on the weekend and then use the leftovers for this dish.

Next year, we'll definitely try to grow cauliflower in the garden!

Fresh from the garden: sage.

No comments: