20 October 2012

Book Review: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Whoa, take me back to 2008/2009 when this book was all the rage in the States. Since that time it has been made into a motion picture in both Sweden and in America. I'm a wee bit slow. But, when it came to picking out a book at the library for my weekend in Canada, I had little time. I was running errands and had little time to peruse my options.

I tend to stay away from popular series. There's no real reason, but I figure if they're popular enough to catch the attention of millions, they are probably not superbly well written. This makes me sound like a snob. I know.

My theory holds true for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. However, man, this was a page turner. I finished the nearly 600 page book in less than three days. That's what happens when you hang out with a six-week old baby: Lots of snuggle time with books. It's been heavenly!

All in all, I liked the book. It's grizzly and gruesome, but captivating and suspenseful. Even in my horror of what what happening, I couldn't put the book down. I've been advised not to see the movie as it's just as grizzly and gruesome as the book. I do think I'll watch it though. Although nearly all of the female characters end up as victims in this book, there are two strong female characters. And now I'm hooked. I'll return this book to the library this week and pick up the next book in the series to consume my free time.

No comments: